Interested in contributing to our mission of advancing immigration policy worldwide? Read on for more details about our new position.
The Immigration Policy Lab (IPL) at Stanford University designs and evaluates policies to advance the integration of immigrants and refugees worldwide. By producing new evidence and translating it into creative solutions, we seek to improve refugees’ and immigrants’ opportunities and strengthen their host communities.
Using new data and cutting-edge analytical tools, we bring evidence to bear on the urgent problems facing immigrants, refugees, and their service providers. We engage with community-based organizations as well as local, state, national, and international government agencies to test the effectiveness of current policies. In addition, we co-design new policies, programs, and tools that ultimately affect millions of immigrants, as well as increase the economic and social prosperity of the communities in which they live. Our talented team of faculty, professional staff, postdocs, and students has created a research model that combines the quality and rigor of an academic lab with the efficiency and innovation of a civic-tech startup.
About the Position
We are looking for an exceptional writer and storyteller to lead our communications program and public relations. The communications manager will have the versatility to write in different voices and for a wide range of target audiences and contexts, including drafting op-eds, articles, and proposals and creating promotional materials. Whatever the format, the communications manager makes social science research understandable and captivating for a non-academic, general audience. This person knows how to earn an audience’s attention with strong, persuasive language but without sacrificing accuracy and integrity. The ideal candidate will also be able to take a bird’s eye view of IPL’s public profile, brand, and overall communications strategy. The ideal candidate will also have strong design judgment and be able to think critically about design, working with freelance graphic designers or firms to storyboard or sketch pieces involving visual storytelling.
The core of this position is as follows:
- Write research briefs, press releases, op eds, donor impact reports, and promotional materials
- Lead IPL’s content strategy and manage IPL’s communications channels, including website, email, and social media
- Design and conduct promotional campaigns to bring IPL research findings and innovations to a wide audience, often in coordination with external project partners such as nonprofit service providers, governments, and NGOs
- Edit to bring style, clarity, and polish to public-facing IPL materials
- Design, or oversee the design of, infographics, slide decks, and layouts
- Lead media relations, including story pitches and other outreach to journalists, vetting unsolicited media requests, and guiding IPL messaging in challenging situations
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written communication, reporting, conceptual editing, copy editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups across campus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- Capacity to write and synthesize materials and communicate information in a manner easily understood.
In addition, highly desired qualifications include:
- At least four years of experience in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field
- Strong writing skills, especially writing for a general audience and ghostwriting; the flexibility to write in different voices and contexts
- Strong knowledge of best practices in strategic communications and public relations, or keen interest in learning these fields
- Understanding of public policy and social science research is highly valued
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by visiting this page and clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples along with your online application.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs. Without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility, employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.